Over the years, the industry has seen many musicians come in and out of it, nothing really deep happens though. Some artistes just have problems of getting good management and record label for greater publicity. In recent times, if you are not signed to a notable record label, your emergence into the industry is still in motion.
Here are some lists of the notable record labels in Nigeria at the moment. Who knows, you might just get signed.
1. SMD (SUPREME MAVIN DYNASTY): Owned and controlled by the Don Dorobucci of music himself, Don Jazzy, who has been able to carve a niche for himself in the social sphere, which keeps him relevant today. After successfully leading the now defunct MoHits Records, Don Jazzy set out to create something that people would not have thought possible at that stage in his career. His boldness and courage to sign young artistes, has also brought about the love that is being showered on him on every social media platform daily. Moving from a Don to a small god, is what has been tagged revolutionary in the Nigerian music industry. Today, the Mavin Records is the best and foremost record label in Nigeria, with notable and popular artistes to its name such as Tiwa Savage, Dr. Sid, Reekado Bnaks, Korede Bello, D Prince, and Aphro Di’ja.
For the MAVINS, every day is always a winning day.
2. YBNL: The name could possibly mean different things, but the obvious name that the owner has been associated with is “Yahoo Boy No Laptop”. Setting out properly in the latter months of 2013, Olamide Adedeji otherwise known as Baddo, has made it possible for his dreams to go beyond contemporary rap.
Olamide can simply be called the Yoruba Rap Lyricist. The record label is fast becoming the most populous and widely accepted Record label in the country due to the amount of trends gained by its signed artiste. The Label boasts of so many people which include musicians, Dj’s and Producers. The ones we can find are Lil Kesh, Viktoh, Chinko Ekun, Zino, Adekunle Gold, BBanks, Young John, Pheelz and Dj Enimoney. Kudos to the Baddo of street rap, Olamide Baddo!!!
3. HKN GANG: We could call this label a family union. HKN Gang is undoubtedly one of the leading and best record labels in Nigeria but they still have to excel in some areas if they are going to make a good team. Managed by the Adeleke Brothers, Chairman and Davido, they have been able to create a very good fusion of Afropop and Lifestyle. The team is made up of different artiste that keep putting out songs, making their fans ask for more. The Gang consists of B-Red, Sina Rambo, Davido, Danagog, King Special and DeeKay. We love us some HKN Music.
4. CHOC BOYZ NATION: When you are the Chairman and Boss of an empire that is built solely on rap music, why wouldn’t you succeed in a field where many have failed? MI Abaga still appears to stay relevant in the musical circle owing to the fact that he recently became the Chairman of Choc Boyz Nation after taking over from Audu Maikori.
Choc Boyz Nation is one record label that most young Nigerian rappers dream of representing. Only consistency can truly make out for any aspiring rapper’s Hardwork. The Record label which consist mainly of Hausa Rappers and “Mallo Boys” is strictly handled and coordinated by MI Abaga with loyal artistes like Ice Prince, Victoria Kimani, Jesse jagz, Milli and Coker. CBN is really a place to be for rap.
5. STAR BOY ENTERTAINMENTS: We keep watching out for the young people that make it out of this record label. Young Wizkid has really tried to put something together this far. Star Boy Ent. Is actively one of the mainstream labels that keep dropping hit wonders and we wonder how this is always possible? Owned and controlled by Wizkid, this record has over the years produced artistes with very good vocals and applicable lyrical contents. We love Maleek Berry, LAX and Wizkid!
6. EME (Empire Mates Entertainment): If there is one record that really seems to have that special magic which makes their song feel a special kinda way, its EME. Managed and owned by Bankole “Banky W” Wellington, they keep bringing it hot and bigger everytime. We only hope that they get their artistes out more often. Special thanks to Shaydee, Niyola, Banky W and the rest of the label mates. More grease to your elbows.
7. TRIPLE MG: Managed by Ubi Franklin and the $exy Kukere master, Iyanya, this record label is one for the take. Spending monies and currencies on their show wouldn’t be a waste, not when they are at their “A” game. With record mates such as Tekno, Selebobo and Emma Nyra,Trippple MG is the right place to come when you’re beautiful and talented. Just hop you don’t drool on Iyanya’s packs when you are in on a joint studio session. sh*t happens.
8. NORTHSIDE INC: Honestly, Jude Okoye has done so much for this record to survive and the label keeps getting better every time they hit us with something new. Record Home to the flashiest artistes, northside inc is arguably one of the best record labels in Nigeria from its inception. Also knowing that it’s owned by the brothers of Musical Duo, PSquare, which alone has bought the label its prestige. The label is also the one responsible for producing the lady with the German juice, “Cynthia Morgan”. Northside Inc keeps surprising us every new day.
9. FIVE STAR MUSIC: When you hear the sound of any unique voice with “Five star music” as its beginning, just know that E Money has landed down another set of cash for Video production. Owned by E Money, a Nigerian Billionaire, it has been able to rise above ranks with very few artistes, what a record to behold. Five Star Music is home to Kcee, HarrySongz, and Skibii Mayana. Without much ado, we thank the label mates of five star Music for rocking our heads with “Reggae Blues” beats.
10. HYPERTEK: All hail the legend behind this initiative!!! It’s “TUFACE IDIBIA INNOCENT”!!! Hypertek came out as a shocking surprise to almost everyone following Tuface’s rendition to have a label of it’s own. Now, there is no doubt that hypertek remains consistent by pushing out more vocals from their label. Dammy Krane and Tuface are both signed to the record label.